You’ve likely heard about it, and you’ve asked yourself the question – can you make money on Wattpad? The answer is yes, you can. It’s both easy and hard to do, and it all depends on you. If you’re an aspiring writer, this is the perfect chance for you. Try your luck with an original story on one of the largest story-telling platforms on the web.
Can you make money writing on Wattpad?
Wattpad currently has three programs where writers can earn money. Wattpad paid stories, books and studios allow writers to benefit from all their hard work. Now, to be a contender for any of them, you first have to be a Wattpad writer.
How to become a Wattpad writer
Joining the Wattpad community is easy. All you need to sign up is to be 13 years old and up, and have an email, or any social media account. Once you’ve registered, you can start on your path to becoming a paid writer.
To qualify for the Wattpad paid stories and other programs, you have to meet a set of requirements.
- The writer must be a Wattpad star, or the story is a Wattys winner.
- Publish the complete story on Wattpad.
- Entire story must consist of at least 50,000 words.
- Excluded categories: random, fanfiction, classics, poetry, and non-fiction.
- Although not mentioned on the official site, your story must have a book cover sized 512 x 800 pixels.
After ticking off the requirements, it’s time to get your story out there.
How to get featured on Wattpad
Hundreds of stories get published on the site every day. For your story to shine, you have to be in the Wattpad picks. The staff creates several lists of titles after going through hundreds of stories. Among these lists are editor’s choice, community curator, studios hits, Hotlist and more. Your story needs to appeal to the Wattpad staff to belong to any list. Even beginners have a shot since view count doesn’t matter much. What will matter is correct grammar, proper plot development, and clear story direction. Generally, they look for entertaining stories free from spelling and sentence construction mistakes. To join the queue for featured stories, you need to submit a request on the site and use #feature in your story’s tags. Even with little view count, if your story meets the criteria, there’s a chance it will get featured.
How to promote your story on Wattpad
Like Instagram, Wattpad promotes titles based on an algorithm and liked stories. When a user likes a story, it will appear on his or her followers’ newsfeed. If you want to take the initiative and be proactive in pushing your story, there are many ways you can do so.
You can promote your story by:
- Following other writers and liking stories. Being active on Wattpad will make your existence known to other users. If they see that you share the same interests, they may follow you and check out your stories.
- Replying to your readers’ comments and engaging with them. Direct interaction will encourage readers to continue supporting your writing. Your fans and followers will recommend you to others.
- Appreciate your followers. It’s always a welcome gesture to thank supporters by mentioning or messaging them. Letting them feel valued will increase their participation in commenting or voting.
- Linking your story or Wattpad account on your social media accounts. Your friends and followers may read your writings and follow you on Wattpad as well.
- Joining discussions in Wattpad clubs. You can talk to other users, and tell them about your story.
- Joining social media groups, like Facebook groups, for Wattpad users and readers. Knowing the writer’s face and name might make an impression and invite readers to your story.
How to get your story noticed on Wattpad
Users whose stories have thousands of views talk about these tips to get noticed on Wattpad.
- Create an eye-catching book cover. The more unique the cover, the more likely it is to stand out and get a reader’s attention.
- Ideal target would be for mobile reading at 1,000 – 2,000 words per chapter. Since Wattpad is also available as a mobile app, it’s safe to assume that many readers use their phones to read on the go.
- Finished stories or stories with several chapters are ideal. If your target is to become part of the paid stories, keep in mind to not go below the required 50,000-word count.
- Writers who prefer to upload individual chapters should have an upload schedule. It’s up to you how many chapters you can write per week, or every two weeks, as long as you inform your readers. You will gain loyalty by being consistent and clear.
How to get paid on Wattpad
If you want to know – can you can make money on Wattpad? then it has to star with how you actually get paid on Wattpad! Once your story has met the criteria, a Wattpad staff will approach you for monetization.
Through Wattpad paid stories, readers can support writers by purchasing coins. Coins act as currency in Wattpad that readers need to read paid stories. The coins are available on the Wattpad app, and paid through apple play or google play store. As of writing the available amounts are: 9 coins – $0.99, 66 coins – $2.99, 120 coins – $4.99, and 230 coins – $7.99. Readers will need a certain amount of coins to buy either the entire story or chapters of a story. Wattpad doesn’t specify the amount to the general public, but a percentage of the coins goes to the writer.
Wattpad books is an after-effect of being one of the top writers on the site. It’s the publishing side of Wattpad and turns online stories into paperback books. Data collection and community voting decide which titles will be candidates for publication. Wattpad contacts the authors of the selected stories for book publication and deals. Sometimes outsider publishers offer writers on the platform book deals as well.
If your goal is to have your story adapted into a movie or series, Wattpad studios might make your dream come true. Well written titles with high ratings are candidates for film or television adaptation. From them, Wattpad decides which ones get licensing deals for media production. It’s also possible for a different studio to approach writers for their stories. Examples are the Kissing Booth and Light as a Feather.
With everything to consider, the best strategy is to be patient and persevering. Being recognized won’t happen overnight. In the meantime, the best thing to do is to polish your skills and continue writing. The more high-quality pieces you produce, the closer you get to your goal. It’s essential in life to always remember that all good things take time.
So, Can You Make Money On Wattpad?
The answer is a resounding YES! It wont necessarily be easy but if you have a love of writing then you can definitely make it happen.for more information ans specific steps – you can visit our How to Make Money on Wattpad article.